EPEL and Java Projects.

Nathan Potter ndp at opendap.org
Fri Feb 19 02:08:57 UTC 2010

Greetings,

My group is looking at bringing our project into EPEL. Among the
reasons for doing so is to provide our users with ABI stability. The
project is a web service application that is built from a C++ coded
back-end that is driven by user requests through a java servlet. The
way that C and C++ projects are brought into fedora and along into
EPEL seems pretty clearly documented, as are the ABI stability
benefits that are part of EPEL design goals.

However I am seeing almost no discussion about the java side of the
equation.

Can you point me to any specific documents or guidelines that would
help me get educated on what the issues are with bringing a java
project into EPEL? IS there any discussion of ABI stability with
regards to Java? Or is API stability the only real issue for java?

I did find this page:

     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies

Where I learned that EPEL projects must follow the Fedora Packaging
and Maintenance Guidelines, and which led me to this:

     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

Which led me to this:

     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java

Where the details of including an ant project are discussed. However
my core questions about ABI vs API stability vis-a-vis EPEL remain
unanswered.

Additionally, the page on packaging java provides examples of
"Specfile Templates". Is there also a resource to which you may direct
me where I can learn about the format and role of the Specfiles in the
RPM process?

Any help you could offer me in this regard would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

= = =
Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
OPeNDAP, Inc.                        +1.541.231.3317