nagios shipped by RedHat, but in a specific subscription channel

Trevor Hemsley trevor.hemsley at codefarm.com
Tue Jan 12 10:31:55 UTC 2010

On 12/01/2010 07:41, David Juran wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 17:03 -0600, Michael Stahnke wrote:
>

>> EPEL was designed to pair with RHEL.  EPEL + RHEL should roughly match
>> the Fedora package collection. If it's RHEL + EPEL + Extra Channel1 +
>> Extra Channel2, ..... that's a difficult sell.  Some people see value
>> in support/subscription on layered products, and some do not.
>>
> So how about a policy where EPEL keeps the version the same as the one
> in ExtraChannel but with a lower release number? This way people not
> subscribing to ExtraChannel will get the software and people who do
> subscribe to the channel will get the version from Red Hat.

In this case, the version of Nagios in the RHEL repo is a version 2
release and that's almost prehistoric and uses a different syntax for
its config files than the far more widely used V3. In EPEL I think we
have V3.0.6 and even that's getting pretty old as v3.2.0 is in rpmforge
and on the Nagios web site.

Be much easier if RH orphaned the V2 release in that repo.

--

Trevor Hemsley
Infrastructure Engineer

OFFICE 	+44 (0) 1273 666 350
FAX 	+44 (0) 1273 666 351

www.calypso.com

This electronic-mail might contain confidential information intended
only for the use by the entity named. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.

* P * /*/ Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail /*/