technical solution/workaround for EPEL vs. RH sub channel

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:14:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Christopher <chrismcc at pricegrabber.com> wrote:
> Hello...
>
>  What about the following idea as a solution to RH vs. EPEL conflicting
> packages?  Extend yum either in the core code or as a plugin to allow
> exclude=@group.  Then the EPEL repo could contain groups
> @rh-sub-channel-foo, etc. with EPEL packages that conflict.  That would
> allow the sysadmin to selectively exclude packages for RH sub projects
> they get via RHN.  Even if there are technical problems with RHEL4 or
> RHEL5, this approach could still work with RHEL6.
>
> yes? no? maybe?

I think this has been bandied about, and it does look good as a long
term solution.. however it seems that it isn't simple below the
surface.

1) The interaction of the yum RHN plugin seems to override other
plugins for some people. This possibly means we need to have Red Hat
fix its yum and plugin to work with this...
2) This would only solve it for EL-5... EL6 might work but may need
changes also.. and EL-4 would need a complete different solution.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning