Packages where EPEL beats EL

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Mar 12 18:55:18 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Mark Chappell <tremble at tremble.org.uk> said:
> The important question would I suppose be what does RPM/Yum do with them...
>
> I've a nasty feeling it uses lapack by default, but will use atlas for
> dep solving if it's already installed.

Shortest name wins, so atlas gets pulled in (when it doesn't actually
meet a needed dependency).  I would think the bug is in the atlas
packaging; the RPM shouldn't list a shared lib outside the standard
directories as a provide.

This is similar to mrtg vs. perl-SNMP_Session; mrtg has its own private
copy of the SNMP_Session perl modules, but they are found by the
auto-provides (so the RPM lists them).  Then mrtg is a shorter name than
perl-SNMP_Session, so a package requiring "perl(SNMP_Session)" gets a
broken install.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>