EPEL6 When to go out of Beta?

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Nov 16 03:54:05 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 2:54 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> In the meeting today we discussed when to move EPEL6 out of beta, now
> that RHEL6 final is out. In the past we had said "when CentOS6 is out",
> mostly in order to give time after final to build things up, etc.
>
> Moving out of Beta means: We would start using bodhi for all updates,
> The 2 weeks in testing before going stable would be enforced, We would
> have epel and epel-testing repos in our release package, buildroot
> overrides would be needed if you wanted to build against a newly built
> package, etc.
>
> What do folks think on when we should move out of Beta mode:
>
> a) When CentOS6 is out.
>
> b) 1 month after RHEL6 was released.
>
> c) NOW!
>
> d) Something else.
>
> IMHO it's nice to give a bit of time now that we know the final package
> list in RHEL6 to branch and build items. Also, some EPEL folks may want
> to make sure they have the very latest (stable) items built that they
> are willing to try and support for the RHEL6 life time.

Some kind of delay would be good.  fftw just now showed up so there will
be a number of scientific packages to be built, and it would ease that.
I'd like to see one more list of packages not built yet too.  But I
could see 2-4 weeks being fine.  Although, I won't be able to test out
my packages outside of the build system until Centos 6 is out.

- Orion