System Management Tools and versions

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 20:00:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 13:06, Jeff Sheltren <jeff at osuosl.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In the case of cfengine, v2 vs. v3:  v2 is no longer supported at all
>>> from upstream.  However, I'm pretty sure that v2 clients will work
>>> fine with a v3 server (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
>>> Because v2 is no longer supported upstream I'm hard pressed to find a
>>> reason to support it in EPEL6 onwards.
>>
>> No they are completely different in the same way that usually puppet
>> breaks support. A v2 box is not going to understand 'promises' or
>> other syntax.  I doubt very much v2 will get any more support.
>> Cfengine 3 is where Mark Burgess is wanting to get corporate support
>> as he has a business behind it. The C2 code is a mess.. listening to
>> Luke Kanies it was the reason that he didn't fork it but just went
>> with a fresh start with puppet.
>>

> Perhaps I wasn't being clear.  I'm not trying to say that cf2 supports
> cf3 language updates.  I'm trying to say that the v2 and v3
> client/servers can interoperate.  Here's a quote from the
> documentation:
> "The daemons and support services are fully interoperable between
> cfengine 2 and cfengine 3, so it does not matter whether you run
> cfservd (cf2) together with cf-agent (cf3) or cf-serverd (cf3)
> together with cfagent (cf2). You can change the servers at your own
> pace."

Oh sorry. i misread some emails on the mailing list when I was subscribed to it.

How hard would it be to repackage the both of them as

cfengine2 < replaces cfengine < 3
cfengine3 < replaces cfengine >= 3 < 4

that way both can be packaged for sites? I am not asking this as "make
work" but will help out as needed with you on this.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.