Conflicting Packages Policy (was: python26 note)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 14:02:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 07:19:02AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, but is there a reason that mod_python26 could not
> be patched to provide 'python26_module' instead of 'python_module' for
> apache?
>
> Presumably, this name would be defined in the source for mod_python
> somewhere.

The filenames and symbols that mod_python provides aren't the real problem.
The real problem is that the two mod_pythons will link to two different
versions of libpython.so.  The symbols in those two libpython versions will
clash if both modules are loaded into apache.

Tangent: I didn't notice the package naming earlier but we probably want
python26-mod_python to match python26-mod_wsgi and the naming of the module
packages for python26.

-Toshio