EPEL 5 Testing i386 Broken Deps

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 19:34:58 UTC 2010

2010/10/25  <stahnma at tyr.websages.com>:
> package: nagios-plugins-udp-1.4.15-1.el5.i386 from epel5
>  unresolved deps:
>     nagios-plugins = 0:1.4.15-1.el5

Please, remove this particular rpm - nagios-plugins-udp was merged
into nagios-plugins-tcp since 1.4.15-2 (with proper 'provides' added
to nagios-plugins-tcp).

> package: sems-1.3.0-2.el5.i386 from epel-testing5
>  unresolved deps:
>     libresolv.so.2(GLIBC_PRIVATE)

I'm investigating this issue. Frankly speaking I'm confused -
application builds fine, but rpm complaints about missing runtime
requirement (GLIBC private symbols). If it is not allowed to link
against them, then why not to throw error at compile time? More
surprising is that this issue exists only on x86_64 arch.

Actually, I would really appreciate if someone will write a short
howto how to resolve and/or prevent such issues.
--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.