python-turbojson from EPEL trying to upgrade CentOS 6 rpm

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 06:07:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 11:45:33AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:50:36 +0100
> Pthagonal <pthagonal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a CentOS 6 test server, and have added the EPEL repo in order
> > to add yum-cron - that has all gone fine & dandy so far - big thanks
> > to everyone for their hard work.
> >
> > Two days ago, yum-cron notified me that python-turbojson.noarch
> > 1.3-3el6 was available as an EPEL update - but it is trying to update
> > python-turbojson-1.2.1-8.1.el6.noarch that was shipped in CentOS 6.
> >
> > Is this expected behaviour?  I'm used to using DAG and rpmforge in
> > the past on CentOS 4/5, and using includepkgs to limit changes to
> > only those needed for the specific packages I'm trying to add to the
> > o/s.  Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, I thought that the
> > idea of EPEL was not to tamper with the original o/s - indeed I was
> > pleased to see that on initial hookup of the repo it wasn't trying to
> > upgrade any centos rpms. I expect my memory is wrong!
>
> This is not expected. ;(
>
> There should not be a newer one in epel. ;(
>
> I will try and track down whats going on and get that version removed.

We should block this.  When we were getting epel6 up and running I built
a python-turbojson before realizing it was in RHEL6.  We removed that from
the repo before epel6 came out of beta and I created a python-turbjson13
package with the updated python-turbojson that I needed for the TurboGears
dependency that we had.

Looks like I didn't properly retire the package in EPEL6 afterwards and
lmacken built a new version of the package today.  So we need to block this
(remembering to leave the RHEL6 version available for building from the
RHEL6 repo in koji) and I'll retire in git and pkgdb.

-Toshio