clamav (again)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Feb 19 20:53:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:36:13 -0500
Fred Wittekind <rom at twister.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I know this is not from your spec file, but, it shows what I was
> writing about
>
> # rpm -q -l -p clamav-data-0.96.5-1301el5.x86_64.rpm
> /var/lib/clamav/daily.cvd
> /var/lib/clamav/main.cvd
>
> # ls -l /var/lib/clamav/
> total 67440
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamupdate clamupdate   459264 Feb 15 11:24 bytecode.cld
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamupdate clamupdate  3071488 Feb 18 10:36 daily.cld
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamupdate clamupdate 65422336 Nov 14 11:24 main.cld
> -rw------- 1 clamupdate clamupdate      884 Feb 18 10:36 mirrors.dat
>
> The file extensions are different, why this is, I do not know.

Well, thats normal I think... some of the files are diffs of others, so
it only has to update a base file with daily updates.

So there's a base file that has the signatures from the time the
version was released, and then diff/update files that apply to that to
create the current up to date signatures.

> IMHO
> it's nice to have the option of not having RPM mess with the database,
> the "-empty" package is a way to do that.  If you are updating clamav,
> then chances are the db on disk is newer than the one in the updated
> RPM that is being installed. The database included with the RPM is
> also most likely out-of-date by the time the RPM is released, so,
> personally, I see more value in a database installed via freshclam,
> than one installed via the package.

Sure, but what does it hurt? It's not that big, IMHO, so you can just
install the db as shipped and then update it. You will then get to use
the base db files and just need to download the diffs.

kevin