Percona MySQL and MariaDB in EPEL

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Sun Jun 19 19:38:28 UTC 2011

On Sunday 19 June 2011 22:17:11 Steve Traylen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Aaron Knister <aaron.knister at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Depending on the definition of replace I wonder if you could do a
> > Provides: mysql as long as your the packages would appear similarly to
> > dependent packages.
>
> Ignoring EPEL for now if there are multiple mysqls arround then encouraging
> Fedora to adapt the mysql to support alternatives has to be the long
> term solution.
>
> Note  I have never ever looked at MariaDB or Percona.  Do they really
> use the same deamon names, library names, etc,....?
>
> Is MySQL to Percona MySQL to MariaDB
> the same as
> sendmail to exim to postgres?

They are actually the same code. Percona is Oracle's MySQL but includes the
google patches(InnoDB high performance and user statistics). Percona also adds
one more storage engine XtraDB.

MariaDB was a fork of MySQL when it began. Now it has a lot of changes that
make it quite different, again adding some of the Google patches and adding new
storage engines.

So all 3 packages generate the same binaries and libraries. So in fact they
are the same thing. Both MariaDB and Percona-SQL are drop in replacements of
Oracle's MySQL.

This is why I think of them as a replacement of the default MySQL. MySQL
stopped accepting patches changing the general functionality of MySQL when
they were aquired by SUN. So then was born Percona, it was needed because a
lot of us want the Google patches. And when Oracle aquired SUN, MariaDB fork
was born.

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov