Percona MySQL and MariaDB in EPEL

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jun 20 18:31:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:11:17 +0300
Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz> wrote:

> I have thought about building both MySQL packages as a separate
> daemons but the problem is that since they are one and the same, they
> use the same port ,the same configuration files and the same data
> directories.
>
> Althou that could be changed with a few simple patches this would
> make them somewhat cripled.
> Also the userland tools use the same configuration files (~/.my.cnf)
> which will complicate things even more.
>
> Is it possible for the EPEL policy to bend a little here for at least
> one of these packages ?

I suppose these could fall under the compatibility packages thing we
have been talking about for things like newer boost or the like.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Conflicts#Compat_Package_Conflicts

I think we are drving down a slippery slope here tho.
A downside of this kind of thing also is packages or people who do 'yum
install /usr/bin/mysqld'. They aren't really sure what they will get
there.

I wonder if this wouldn't be better in IUS?

Or talk with upstream about renaming things so it can parallel install,
and then perhaps we could change packages to need 'mysql-database' or
something that could get added as a virtual provides to all of these?

Not sure there's a good answer here.

kevin