libmodplug conflict between ATRPMS and EPEL for EL6

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Mar 7 18:12:40 UTC 2011

On 03/07/2011 05:59 PM, David Crick wrote:

> libmodplug-0.8.7-2.el6.x86_64 - as provided by ATRPMS
> libmodplug-0.8.8.1-2.el6.x86_64 - as provided by EPEL
>
> I understand that the 3rd party repositories try their best
> not to have dependency clashes between each other,
> hence I am bringing it to the attention of both projects.

The problem probably comes from that 0.8.7 and 0.8.8.1 have different
sonames, and that packages in each repo have been built against their
version of libmodplug.

Because the EPEL version is up to date, I think this would be best
solved in ATrpms side, for example by shipping a libmodplug088 or
libmodplug1 (where "1" comes from the bumped soname in 0.8.8.1+) or
something at least for a while, and then rebuilding dependent packages
against it.  After completing that process, I guess it wouldn't matter
for end users whether the EPEL libmodplug or ATrpms libmodplug088 would
be installed.