Proposal: LTSP needs alternative thin client-only kernel for EPEL6

Warren Togami Jr. wtogami at gmail.com
Mon May 23 22:16:34 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/2011FundDrive
I'm currently working on putting LTSP into EPEL6 as it would be a
compelling long-term supported platform.  Currently it seems that I will
be able to put all of the LTSP stack into EPEL6 with the exception of
one package.

I will need to build an alternative "ltsp-client-kernel" package which
contains a minimally stripped down kernel only for LTSP clients.  It
must be small for embedded devices, and built with different options
because the standard EL6 kernel disabled some stuff we need like nbd.ko.
  The thin clients would work great with this kernel combined with
standard EL6 + EPEL6 userspace packages.

Maintenance would be reasonable because its source must only be kept in
sync with the EL6 kernel source.  The ltsp-client-kernel package would
be made in such a way that it will not be pulled in by deps of non-LTSP
packages, so other users will not notice its existence at all.
Furthermore, it will not auto-build a /boot/initramfs-* image and add
itself to grub.conf like a standard kernel, because that is not how thin
client embedded kernels are handled with LTSP.

Any objections?  I will not be able to ship LTSP in EPEL without this
package.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com