Python packages with python26 subpackages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:43:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 02:15:35PM +0200, Steve Traylen wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 13, 2011, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was working on a python-pygments/python26-pygments bug today and found
> > that the byte compilation of the packages was... wrong.  Changing various
> > setings to do with the automatic byte compilation of python modules to byte
> > code, I could either get everything compiled with python-2.6 or everything
> > compiled with python-2.4; I could not get the python26 subpackage compiled
> > with python-2.6 and the python 2.4 portion compiled with python-2.4.
> >

> You have to do the byte compiling fairly manually in this case of py26 in the
> same package.
>
> I believe that Python_pbs is for instance correct but I can't verify myself at
> moment.
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=python-pbs.git;a=blob;f=
> python-pbs.spec;h=441b3d7e5befce2144b54436cedfdb60588e1ce8;hb=
> f1573df43d2ea04000f9c42b76fb0b4e4c5bb072

Thanks, this looks a lot like what's present in pygments currently (IIRC,
I believe you contributed that so it's no wonder they're similar :-).
However, I verified that the rpms in the epel repo for python-pbs are
correct whereas python-pygments is not so there must be some minor
difference between the two.  python-pbs is currently failing to build in el5
(unable to find the pbs library).

I looked at Jeffrey Ness's fix in parallel to this and once I found it
worked and is simpler, I went with that.  So I did not explore further.

-Toshio