tomcat7 ?

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 19:56:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Dmitry Makovey <dmitry at athabascau.ca> wrote:

> On 12/06/2012 10:25 AM, Greg Swift wrote:
> > I did just look at this a little this week.  Here is what I noticed:
> >
> > 1: jakarta-commons versus apache-commons
> > 2: buildRequires circular dependency of tomcat7 -> geronimo-jaxrpc ->
> > servlet (which tomcat7 provides)
>
> which SPEC files were you using? rhel:tomcat6.spec + version bump, or
> fedora:tomcat.spec or jpackage:tomcat7.spec ? Just curious about the
> starting point. My idea was to grab Fedora's spec and massage it into
> submission. Main point (aside from libraries & their versions) would
> probably be the startup script as RHEL doesn't use systemd. But that
> should be easy to address and possibly plead for conditional SPEC file
> with RHEL-based builds using init.d startup vs Fedora's systemd.

So I started with the fedora:tomcat.spec.  The init scripts are actually
still there in a sub package, which is handy.  I had forgotten that I
pulled all the systemd stuph out and moved the sysv bits back into the base
package.

here is the spec: http://nytefyre.net/rpms/tomcat.spec

so, obviously, it doesn't work.

> However it's still unclear whether EPEL would be the place for such
> build as RHN offers tomcat7 under JBoss channel which may be in conflict
> with EPEL guidelines.

does the JBoss channel count as a conflict? I thought based on the recent
discussions that it didn't.

>  > then i just went to the jpackage release cause i needed to finish what i
> > was doing.
>
> OT:
> hmm. My past experience with Jpackage+RHEL was a mixed bag with
> conflicting packages and rather peculiar resulting install sets (mix of
> RHEL and Jpackage rpm's). Have you used "yum-plugin-priorities" to get
> around those conflicts?
>
> I didn't run into any dependency issues at this point, and we were
previously using a more limited locally packaged version.   We'd definitely
prefer an EPEL version to just negate that risk.