Permanent URL for EPEL configuration

Michael Stahnke stahnma at puppetlabs.com
Thu Dec 27 18:15:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:35:51 +0100
> Remi Collet <Fedora at famillecollet.com> wrote:
>
> > Le 21/12/2012 19:17, Kevin Fenzi a écrit :

> > > Because there's not an automated way to create it?
> >
> > A simple one:
> >
> > ln -f 6/i386/epel-release-* epel-release-6.rpm
>
> How is that automated? :)
>
> Sure, I can do that manually right now, but what makes you think I
> would notice when there's a new update? Manually putting it on a
> person is something I want to avoid. ;)
>
> Perhaps we could use something from the fedmsg bus to detect when this
> package is pushed to stable. Or run a cron job that lists the most
> current one in the repo...

Another option, how do we just get epel-release into RHEL? Scientific ships
with it in their core. It makes things so much nicer. I realize Red Hat
doesn't want to support everything from EPEL, but having it easily
available might be nice. I haven't used a RHEL system since 2007 without
EPEL anyway ;)