Long-term package versions (RHEL 5+ extended to 10 years until EOL)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Feb 9 03:00:03 UTC 2012

On 02/08/2012 09:46 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> * If you can't do a seemless upgrade, you move on to parallel installs
>   like we are doing with mediawiki. Announce and try and get people to
>   realize the flow and that they need to upgrade.

I like the general outline, though the 'announce' part might be a bit
tricky.  The biggest risk would be that people think they're getting
updates to their core package when they're not.

Several ideas that involve writing code came to mind, but the easiest
might be to do one more release of the base package and drop a cron.d
file in that tells root every day that he's running an maintained
package.  It won't get everybody but most conscientious admins watch
their cron output (and could easily turn it off if they decide to stay
with the base package).  EPEL could decide on a standard template to use.

Perhaps there's a better way to get word out to users?

I'm kinda wishing rpm could handle concurrent versions now...

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle