hwloc 1.4

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Feb 19 18:38:26 UTC 2012

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Despite not supporting upgrades from 5->6 it seems bad form to have
> EPEL5 be newer.

The flip side to this is that RHEL often lags a good bit behind and
are willing to pay folks to backport fixes and security patches.
That's not the case for most EPEL maintainers so things can and do
diverge.

I recall asking about this when I was updating git and the general
consensus was that keeping the EVR in epel5 less than rhel6 wasn't
terribly important.

In the end, I didn't keep epel less than rhel and git-1.7.4.1 is in
epel5 while rhel6 is still on 1.7.1, with only 2 security fixes.
There's been a lot of fixes and improvements in git that rhel users
are missing out on, IMO.  At the least, I'd have expected to see rhel
update to the latest 1.7.1.x¹ release with one of the 6.x refreshes.

There's not really one good answer to this issue.

¹ https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.1.txt
   https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.2.txt
   https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.3.txt
   https://raw.github.com/gitster/git/master/Documentation/RelNotes/1.7.1.4.txt

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you weren't
sleeping.