Plans for EL4 End of Life

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 05:21:31 UTC 2012

So, we have about 60 days until EL4 goes to End of Life from Red Hat[1]
(and thus triggering CentOS, and I imagine Oracle, Scientific et al).

What are the plans for EPEL 4?

The way I see we have a few options:

1.  We stop putting new content in EPEL4 and take down the EPEL mirror
(thus really end-of-lifeing EPEL 4)
2.  We stop putting in new content, and leave the mirrors, thus allowing
those who haven't migrated to ahve some sort of package options, with no
option for updates
3.  We keep allow people to add content to EPEL4 due to things like
extended support
4.  Some other option I haven't though about yet.

I like 1 the best, because it only helps enforce lifecycle planning.  And
when I worked in big enterprise, I needed all the help I could get to be
able to move systems.  :)  Plus it allows our maintainers to focus effort
on 5/6 enhancements and fixes.

Any discussion or suggestions welcome.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

stahnma