Plans for EL4 End of Life

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:35:35 UTC 2012

On 3 January 2012 22:21, Michael Stahnke <mastahnke at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, we have about 60 days until EL4 goes to End of Life from Red Hat[1] (and
> thus triggering CentOS, and I imagine Oracle, Scientific et al).
>
> What are the plans for EPEL 4?
>
> The way I see we have a few options:
>
> 1.  We stop putting new content in EPEL4 and take down the EPEL mirror (thus
> really end-of-lifeing EPEL 4)
> 2.  We stop putting in new content, and leave the mirrors, thus allowing
> those who haven't migrated to ahve some sort of package options, with no
> option for updates
> 3.  We keep allow people to add content to EPEL4 due to things like extended
> support
> 4.  Some other option I haven't though about yet.
>

> I like 1 the best, because it only helps enforce lifecycle planning.  And
> when I worked in big enterprise, I needed all the help I could get to be
> able to move systems.  :)  Plus it allows our maintainers to focus effort on
> 5/6 enhancements and fixes.
>

> Any discussion or suggestions welcome.

I would like to "vote" for option 1 with an updated epel-4 release
that points to archives location. The reason is the following:

1) The Builders will not have access to EUS and so will effectively be
building at 4.9 forever.
2) Building stuff for EL-4 is becoming harder and harder and extending
the lifetime that maintainers who signed up to EOL is now 4 years
longer. That means either removing stuff from EPEL or finding another
maintainer (effectively doing the same).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd