Plans for EL4 End of Life

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 6 18:06:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 11:53:40 -0800
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:40:36AM -0800, Christopher McCrory wrote:
> > Hello...
...snip...
> > What happens to the git repo branches?  If the branches stay then
> > anyone still using RHEL4 could use git checkout, fedpkg, and mock
> > to build their own packages with any security patches they need.
> >
> The git branches will remain.  I don't believe we'd even close them
> out for commits (Extra work to script that ;-).  koji would probably
> be closed to new builds (even scratch), though.

Yeah, another saving of resources here would be that infrastructure
would no longer need to sync rhel4 repos, koji wouldn't need a tag to
run newrepo tasks on for epel4, and we would not need to mash and push
epel4 updates.

I really think the best action here is to do what Fedora does... move
rpms to archive, git branches stay, but koji drops support as does
infrastructure.

kevin