Overlap policy v20120615

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Jun 15 23:35:40 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 03:27 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:43:52 -0500
> inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, I don't want them dropped from the build system. I want to know
>> why piranha can't be packaged by EPEL for example?
>
> We added those channels to the buildsystem due to maintainer requests.
> I think back when RHEL was in beta we had at least 2-3 maintainers say
> that they wished to build $foo for EPEL6, but it needed $bar, which was
> already in one of {ha|lb}, so could we please add them?
>
> I think it's just mostly history at this point.
>
> If we wanted to try and untangle them and drop them from the
> buildsystem, would that make policy making better/more sane/more clear?
> I'd like to see what packages that might affect.
>
> ha has 41 packages in it.
> lb has only 2.

Could we get a list of these packages?  Or find out where you can get a
list?

> The following epel packages require packages in those 2 repos:
>

> plplot-devel-0:5.9.7-3.el6.1

Hmm, I can install all plplot packages on my base entitlement rhel6 +
optional box so this strikes me as false positive.  More overlaps
between channels?

Any way to ask yum to install all packages from a specific repo while
still having all repos enabled?  Might be interesting to see the output
of something like:

yum install <all of epel>

on a base rhel6 box.

--