Okay to package HTTPS Everywhere 2.0?

Russell Golden niveusluna at www.niveusluna.org
Fri Mar 2 15:23:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:07:00 -0600, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> So, the changes from the current version include changes to 'the user
> experence' ? ie, UI changes? Are they minor? or Major?

I honestly cannot see a difference in the UI. Sounds very minor to me.

> Is the old version still supported for security updates?
> Or are they moving to only supporting the new one?

The 1.x branch is no longer supported, I assume. I can email the list to
verify.

> Can the old one use the new rules? Or is it stuck with out of date
> rules.

I would have to release an extension update to update the rulesets anyway.
The rulesets are updated only as part of the extension. There's no
separate updater.

> If you did move to this version, would end users have to do anything
> manually?

No. The SSL Observatory defaults to off due to common corporate policies.
Less hassle all around.

> I'd guess this is kinda a grey area for two reasons:
> web browsers seem to be kind of an exception to things (10.x is coming
> in a RHEL update), and things that need to update off the net/rulesets
> need to update to interoperate.
>kevin

10.x is probably only coming because 3.6 EOL is approaching. :P

2.0.2 will likely contain a fix for a bug that's been on the bugzilla
(filed against the Fedora version) for a couple months. I'd like to
resolve that one in both Fedora and EPEL. :D

Russell Golden