Django 1.4 in F17?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 6 15:58:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 10:31:48 -0500
Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 10:03 +0100, Jos Vos wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a possibility to see Django 1.4 in F17?
> >
> > Django 1.4 RC1 came out yesterday, the final release is expected
> > within a month from now.  AFAICS there are no real
> > incomapatibilities, see:
> >
> > https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.4/
>

> On a related point, the impending release of Django 1.4 means the end
> of upstream support for Django 1.2.x, which is currently what is
> shipping in EPEL 5 and 6. This puts EPEL in a bit of a pickle.
> 1.2.x->1.3.x or 1.4.x includes known backwards-incompatible changes.
> On the other hand, upstream will not be providing any fixes (security
> or otherwise) once 1.4 is released.
>
> As a related consideration, some other Django-derived projects such as
> Review Board already have Django 1.3 as a minimum for their latest
> releases. Review Board in particular is planning to move to Django 1.4
> as its minimum for it's next major release.

yeah, this sort of thing comes up sadly.

I think in the EPEL world the conclusion we came to was:

- Create a parallel installable 1.4 version, submit for review and get
  added to the collection.

- Continue to maintain the 1.2 version as long as it's feasible to
  backport security fixes or the like. Note to the epel-announce list
  that 1.2 is on life support and ask people to consider moving to 1.4.

- When 1.2 becomes no longer possible to support, announce to
  epel-announce that it's going to end of life.

- After a while, end of life it.

kevin