Keep or remove GlusterFS from EPEL-6?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu May 17 00:30:32 UTC 2012

On 16 May 2012 18:07, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> My understanding from long ago when we last discussed this was:
>> EPEL will not ship anything that's available in src.rpm format under
>> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server
>> Now, some of the newer channels like RHS were not there when we
>> launched EPEL6, so if lots of people think we should revisit this, we
>> could.
>
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> 1) We decided about a year ago that if its not a SRPM in the RHEL OS
>> directory we would not count it as something we could not build
>> against.
>
> Wait.  These two seem to be in conflict, at least to me.  Kevin says
> one policy (with the possibility of revisiting), then Stephen says
> something else was decided last year.

No I think we are talking about the same thing. Just saying it
different ways. If it is not in

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server

then it is ok to be built and shipped. That to me is the RHEL OS
directory. Kevin writes better English than I do. If gluster shows up
in that tree then it will get pulled from EPEL. If it does not show up
in there it does not.

> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> This was because we would have needed to remove puppet and
>> several other tools that various RHEL layered products included at old
>> releases that we had gone past in version by the time the product was
>> released.
>
> I think Spacewalk/Satellite's inclusion of select packages is a
> general issue, at least as long as the Oracle DB is the backend (seems
> to be changing with PostgreSQL).  But those are just a few support
> packages.

I don't believe it was Spacewalk. It was MRG and another product line
that caused us to rethink the issue.

> Now we're talking an entire entitlement offering.  ;)
>
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> 2) Using any add on repository comes at a price. EPEL can do as much
>> as it can to lower that price, but at a certain point there are going
>> to be issues.
>
> Of course.  My only point, based on 100% account experience, is that
> we're talking about conflicting with an entire entitlement offering.
> All other arguments aside (and can be discussed off-list), this means
> that Red Hat customers will have to start to consider not using EPEL
> as a result.

That was happening before with different entitlements. While I
disagreed originally I have come to agree with DAG's advice. Anyone
who links directly to an outside repository for production systems
needs to really rethink how they do system administration. [Having had
to do this with RHN updates across a cluster made it clear that if you
are going to run something large.. making sure you know what is going
to be put on the systems is always a system administrators job.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd