Keep or remove GlusterFS from EPEL-6?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:42:17 UTC 2012

On 23 May 2012 13:53, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> Again, I don't know and cannot speak about the policies of such
> efforts, but if layered products are in EPEL, it does reduce any
> consideration for EPEL with Red Hat customers who do pay for layered
> products, as they will conflict.
>
> I don't envy those who have to make the difficult decisions in the
> Fedora Project on this matter.  They will never please everyone.

I think that for customers using layered products it would be smarter
to avoid outside repositories anyway. If a customer is using layered
items onto the OS they are going to need to make sure they have only
Red Hat supported software installed. Even if we were to somehow
remove all the conflicts we can't remove secondary problems where
software if it finds libXYZ installed will manually load that even if
it is not included with RHEL. [Various gnome apps do this so I expect
other software will also end up with such "plugin" architectures.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd