An un-Folsom morning

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Wed Nov 21 18:54:11 UTC 2012

>   * /From/: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars seas harvard edu>
>   * /To/: <epel-devel-list redhat com>
>   * /Subject/: An un-Folsom morning
>   * /Date/: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:17:17 -0500

> Hello EPEL world,
>
> The recent decision to replace the Essex release of OpenStack in EPEL
> with the compatibility-breaking Folsom release has completely hosed
> our OpenStack environment.
>
> Leaving aside, for the moment, the valuable lessons we've learned from
> this experience:
>
> I desperately need to find a repository with the Essex packages.  They
> don't appear to exist (at least, not all of them) in Koji, and our
> local snapshots have already rolled over.  Any pointers would be
> greatly appreciated.
I've been wondering about that same decision. This update goes against
the philosophies of EPEL.

    Packages in EPEL should be supported for the full life cycle of the
    Enterprise Linux they are build against. Additionally, they should
    strive to never require manual update procedures or processes.
    During the stable part of the EPEL cycle, packages shouldn't update
    in a way that changes the user experence[sic] or otherwise adds more
    than bugfixes.

The Folsom upgrade, according to the release notes (
http://wiki.openstack.org/ReleaseNotes/Folsom) lists a myriad of changes
that break existing installations and/or require manual updates. This
push has set my project back a least a week with many man hours wasted.