Backwards incompatible change: PowerDNS (2.9.x to 3.1.x)

James Findley james.findley at gmx.com
Mon Nov 26 12:52:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

 I noticed that pdns was recently (October) updated to 3.1 from 2.9. As http://doc.powerdns.com/changelog.html#changelog-auth-3-1 and http://doc.powerdns.com/upgrades.html#from2.9to3.0 notes this is a major upgrade that requires schema updates to the database, will cause powerdns to fail to start for some configs, may change the answers returned and may negatively affect performance.

 This probably should not have been done at all, and definitely not without some mention of these issues in the RPM changelog and ideally a postscript to fix configs, DB schema, etc.

 We are fortunate that we rigourously test every new EPEL update before we update any live servers - but if there are going to be major changes like this in EPEL, some way of warning people that use the repository would be useful as there are many people out there who trust EPEL not to break their systems.

 Thanks,

 James