Backwards incompatible change: PowerDNS (2.9.x to 3.1.x)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 16:23:58 UTC 2012

On Nov 26, 2012 7:52 AM, "Ken Dreyer" <ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman
> <lars at seas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > There was some recent discussion about performing another major
> > version upgrade to Puppet (by moving the "puppet" package in EPEL from
> > 2.x to 3.x).  I hope *that* never happens.
>
> EPEL 6 will be around until November 2020. The upstream Puppet project
> will not maintain the 2.6.x branch for another seven years. Eventually
> we will have to upgrade.

Just to add a historical note: this was a point of contention during the
founding of EPEL as well.  Some argued that maintainers should be required
to backport fixes to the packages just like in RHEL.  Others argued that
you could't require that sort of commitment from unpaid maintainers so the
more Fedora style of upgrading to get fixes was appropriate.

The very first epel thread:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-February/thread.html#00004

Continued:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-March/msg00001.html