Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: epel. Please verify its path and try again

James Dehnert jdehnert at mac.com
Wed Oct 17 23:01:58 UTC 2012

I just installed the peel repo on a RedHat Ent 6.1 system using the following command…

  su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm'

Now when I query yum I get the following error message...

  Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: epel. Please verify its path and try again

The repo file seem good to me…

[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/$basearch
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-6&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL-6

But now this is breaking a number of package installed in puppet.  I Googled this error, but the consensus seems to be to just disable the repo, which doesn’t really address the problem.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

 Thanks,
    James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
   James "Zeke" Dehnert