Fixing Puppet in Fedora/EPEL

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 00:00:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 07:35:28PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 04:04:24PM -0700, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> > * Move EPEL 6, Fedora >= 17 to use Puppet 3.0.
>
> Speaking for my previous job, it would really be unfortunate to have a
> non-compatible update of puppet in EPEL. Unless accompanied by very loud
> trumpets and fireworks beforehand, the day that update went out would be a
> very sad and busy day for a number of sysadmins.
>
> I'm not opposed to putting puppet 3 in, but it'd really be helpful if it
> went in as "puppet3" or something, and left the stable version as is,
> happily getting security-only updates.

Having a parallel installable package makes sense to me.  If it can't be
parallel installed -- perhaps the question of whether to allow conflicts in
epel that was recently raised would be a good thing to look at here as well?

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2012-October/msg00015.html

-Toshio