'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 22 19:07:27 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Greg Swift <gregswift at gmail.com> said:
> Some examples of last update dates from upstream for existing packages in EPEL:

Another one for the list that I ran across recently is Bacula.  EPEL 5
has Bacula 2.4.4, which is from January 2009 and is long EOL.  As I
understand it, 2.x clients aren't even supported by newer versions of
the server (3.0, which is also EOL, 5.0, and 5.2 clients are supposed to
work with newer/current servers).

RHEL 6 includes Bacula 5.0, which of course complicates things.  I guess
EPEL shouldn't have a newer version than later RHEL releases (especially
in this case, since I don't know if a newer Bacula client is expected to
work with an older server).

Internally, I'm packing 5.2 from Fedora as bacula52.  I can't parallel
install the different versions (although I don't think that would make
much sense with this software).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>