'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:25:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 09:45:21AM -0500, Greg Swift wrote:
>>
>> Do you have any thread names or search phrases to recommend? I found
>> several threads back in 2007, which all appear to be early EPEL.
>> Unfortunately, the audience and use of EPEL was much smaller then.
>>
> Here's one of the most informative posts from a past thread:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2012-May/msg00164.html

thanks.. i remember trying to keep up with that thread initially, but
didn't recall it getting to a discussion about repos.

> I see that Kevin has replied to this post as well with some of the higher
> level design considerations as well.

(from that thread:)

> A partial list of what we would need to do to add a repo:
>
> * Patch bodhi to know about the new repo, what requirements it would
>   have. If it would have a updates-testing version and how to promote
>   to updates.
>
> * Add a koji tag for the builds.
>
> * Modify the fedora git processing scripts to allow branches to be made
>   for this repo.
>
> * Update mash and such to create the repo(s).
>
> * Process all the packages that would need to be added.
>
> * Add components to bugzilla for the new repo/channels/packages.

If an additional repo is decided to be the way to go, what would it
take to develop a mostly 'complete' list along with a list of existing
howtos or subject matter experts that can be referenced by the poor
soul(s) who volunteer to do the work?

> And I'm sure there's other issues... it would not be at all easy, and I
> would prefer to avoid it.

understandably.  although at this point I'm wondering a few things:

1: since multiple bits have brought this up and no one has come up
with a better solution, is this the way we need to go?

2: would a single EPEL-supplemental/rolling/fubar meet the needs of
both of these paths?

3: is it possible to do the numbered packages in the same git
repositories without creating a whole separate package path? is it
reasonable?

-greg