'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 29 21:35:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Dmitry Makovey wrote:

> Seth, with all due respect, my understanding of EPEL is precisely bridge
> between releases of specific distributions (unless I got it wrong). It's aim
> is to bring "latest goodness" from current Fedora over to slower-paced
> RHEL/CentOS/SL.

Not really. It's just building those pkgs which are not already in rhel
for it and do so in a way which complies with fedora packaging policies.

> Why would you recommend against synchronization with any distribution?

B/c there are many distros built on that base - and tying to one is
implicitly blessing ONE distro.

And I think fedora officially blessing a rebuild of rhel is going to go
over like a lead balloon.

-sv