Spyder

Troy Dawson tdawson at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 16:12:31 UTC 2013

On 04/11/2013 10:43 AM, Suresh Raja wrote:
> I am trying to install Spyder package on RHEL6 and can't find Spyder.
> Tried from source have issues finding Sphinx. I would appreciate Any
> input on Spyder installation thanks.

Did you try looking on the web?
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Spyder isn't in RHEL6, nor is it in EPEL6.
One of the best ways to check to see if it is in epel is to look in the
fedora package database.  For spyder that is here.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/spyder

You will see that spyder is listed for
     Fedora devel
     Fedora 19
     Fedora 18
     Fedora 17
but not for EPEL6 or EPEL5.  So, no one has put spyder into EPEL6.

So, it's not in there, now what.
Well, if it was me, I'd download the src.rpm from Fedora and try
rebuilding it.
(1)
You can go to koji and search for spyder
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/
Pick the version that you want, and grab the src.rpm,
This is the one I picked
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/spyder/2.1.2/1.fc16/src/spyder-2.1.2-1.fc16.src.rpm

Once I've downloaded that, I would rebuild it with this command.
rpmbuild --rebuild spyder-2.1.2-1.fc16.src.rpm

You might notice that you have to install some dependancies for it to
build, but it does build.

Now, you try to install it, with yum
yum install /home/MYHOME/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/spyder-2.1.2-1.el6.noarch.rpm

And you'll see that it fails because it needs dependencies that also
aren't in RHEL6 or EPEL6.
So, go back to step (1) and repeat with the new dependancy.

I hope this helps.
Troy