Nagios looking for plugins in wrong directory?

Tim Wojtulewicz timwoj at ieee.org
Thu Apr 18 18:11:05 UTC 2013

I recently installed the nagios, nagios-common, nagios-plugins, and a few
of the nagios-plugins-* packages for EL6 from EPEL.  I've run into a
problem where nagios can't find the plugins at all.  It gives me an error
127 when trying to find them, which from the nagios documentation means it
thinks the plugins aren't installed.  After a bit of debugging, it appears
nagios is looking for the plugins to be installed in
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins whereas the nagios packages in EPEL install them
all in /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins.  Creating a symlink from
/usr/lib64/nagios to /usr/lib/nagios resolves that issue, but it doesn't
seem to me that I should have to do that.

Once I resolved the "not found" problem, nagios moved onto a permissions
issue.  Calling any plugin results in a 126 error code.  I've tried 'chown
-R nagios:nagios /usr/lib64/nagios'.  This results in a lot of complaints
that plugins need to be owned by root or should be setuid root.  The
permissions on the plugins and all of the directories above seem like the
nagios user should be able to run the scripts (i.e. everything has o+rx at
least).

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Tim