[et-mgmt-tools] Old Stuff Needs To Work Too: Lilo compatibility / Koan and RHEL3

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 7 22:54:42 UTC 2006

Two things:

===

One.

Koan had some lilo support before, though I've discovered a few things
about it recently, and they are now fixed in mercurial.

So, if you were playing with koan before (either via "cobbler
enchant/transmogrify" or directly ("koan --replace-self") and had
systems using lilo, they will be a lot happier now.    Changes are
available in hg and will probably be pushed out to Fedora sometime next
week.  (Cobbler 0.3.4, Koan 0.2.5)

Lilo changes:

(1)  Before, one had to run lilo manually after running koan to apply
the config.   Koan now does this automagically if lilo is being used as
the bootloader.

(2)  It turns out that Lilo can't deal with multiple boot images having
the same display value (ex: "kickstart" and "kickstart"), so if you run
koan multiple times by accident, you're out of luck.  Now they are
labelled as "kick%s" where %s is the number of seconds since epoch (Jan
1, 1970).   I had limited space to work with :)

(3)  while koan would correctly modify the lilo or grub config based on
what was installed, it got confused if both grub and lilo were
installed, and would only edit grub, even if lilo was the active
bootloader.  It now probes to see which bootloader is active and
modifies the correct one.

===

Two.

The other thing I'm going to be doing shortly is making koan compilable
with RHEL3 -- some users don't have PXE setups (cobbler can provision
RHEL3 via PXE fine), and currently koan and "enchant" won't work for
them there.   So, when this gets done, Cobbler will support RHEL4+,
derivatives, and FC5+ -- and koan will support all of that with the
addition of RHEL 3.   Obviously, no virtualization support on RHEL 3...