[et-mgmt-tools] Where does cobbler and koan end .. and stateless linux starts ?

Vikas kedia.vikas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 23:12:28 UTC 2007

I started looking at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StatelessLinux and
from there got introduced to cobbler and koan (Great work Michael !!)

These are the 4 objectives I am trying to achieve:

A. Prepare a gold copy of the server. This involves:
1. installing RHEL5 on it
2. Add other RPM's like webmin and virtualmin.
3. Move the config files like httpd.conf etc. to a location called
/gt/fsrvx/server-config/. Here x is that servers number. For e.g the
first server will have /gt/fsrv1/ 2nd server will have /gt/fsrv2/ and
so on. Here /gt/ is a separate partition.

B. Be able to push the gold copy out to servers fresh from UPS using
PXE and cobbler and once the server has a base OS on it be able to add
more virtual operating systems to it using koan and cobbler.

C. Each of the deployed servers should contact the central gold copy
and see if there have been any changes to the / partition and if so
then rsync over the changes. This is the stateless part of each of the
servers.

D. Any changes to the /gt/ partition should be sent over to the backup
server. This is the state part of each of the servers.

My two questions are:
1. Will the kickstart file allow me to move the config files like
httpd.conf over to /gt/fsrv1/server-config/httpd.conf. I can possibly
do this by modifying the default apache RPM but will I be able to say
/gt/fsrv?/server-config/http.conf and replace the ? with the current
server number getting installed.

2. Will I be able to achieve the objectives B and C.

Regards,

-----
Mortgage fit Virtualization Group http://www.mortgagefit.com
Vikas