[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager vbd/vnic add code just committed

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 00:38:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 02:54:55PM -0400, Hugh Brock wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've just committed a rough first cut at dynamically adding vnics and
> vbds to a running VM in virt-manager (from the hardware pane on the
> details page). Please let me know what you think.

I felt it was a little odd to have different UI for defining the devices
compared to the UI in the create new VM wizard, so I adjusted it slightly.
Kept the list in the new one-device-per-line in the list view, but moved
the addition of new devices into a popup window.

> 1. No, it doesn't work for inactive guests yet. Coming soon.

A little XML munging & that works too now.

> 2. No, you can't add a disk quite yet; it's missing a minor detail
> (device naming) that I will add early next week.

I changed the way device addition works slightly - basically I cloned
the create new VM wizard, but instead of taking you through all steps,
we only display the one step relevant to the hardware. So adding a new
device has 3 stages:

  1. Choose what device to add (disk or network, but others to come, eg USB)
  2. Fill in device specific details - identical UI to create VM wizard
  3. Summary page - identical UI to create VM wizard, but only showing
     device specific options

> 3. No, there's no way to remove a device yet. Coming soon.

Coming now! Well partially at least. I added code to remove devices
from live guests. Still need to hook up some more XML munging code to
ensure they're remove from inactive guests & the config file for active
guests.

> Note that the hardware list now has one entry per hardware device
> (assuming you consider "cpu" and "memory" each one device), and that it
> updates itself dynamically.

That's working very nicely indeed - much better than i thought it would
be actually. It'll scale up much nicer when we add in USB devices, mice,
tablets, etc. In fact we should probably add an extra hightlighting the
VNC / SDL graphics options already.

There's been alot of changes recently, between this, the networking config
and all the validation work put into virt-install, so I plan to do new
releases of virt-manager & virt-install tomorrow (or on the weekend).

Dan.