[et-mgmt-tools] lot's of trouble using virt-manager and virt-install with qemu

Source prime.provogue at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 04:48:13 UTC 2007

Hello guys,

I have installed kvm-20 from source code. Loaded the kvm module and started
the said libvirtd service. Now when I try to use virt-manager to create a
new virtual machine it ends up saying no /usr/bin/qemu-kvm found.
Now I found that I don't have this file. At the irc I was told to use
kvm-19-1.src.rpm from FC7 extras development SRPMS. I used that also. I
compiled it too. It got compiled and installed successfully but that too
didn't provided qemu-kvm. I found that in the source tree of kvm there is a
directory qemu/ in which I have qemu-kvm.c and qemu-kvm.h which get's
compiled to qemu-kvm.o and get's into qemu/i386-softmmu/qemu-kvm.o but it
doesn't makes any qemu-kvm executable in /usr/bin.

Also I tried to use virt-install , first of all I would like to tell that
it's not intelligent enough to guess which hypervisor to use if we don't
pass --connect argument. Now when I use it with --connect=qemu:///system to
create a new virtual machine I got the following error:

libvir: QEMU error : internal error Failed to add tap interface 'vnet%d' to
bridge 'xenbr0' : No such device
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 630, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 579, in main
    dom = guest.start_install(conscb,progresscb)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 649, in
start_install
    return self._do_install(consolecb, meter)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 666, in
_do_install
    self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 480, in
createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: virDomainCreateLinux() failed internal error Failed to
add tap interface 'vnet%d' to bridge 'xenbr0' : No such device

Now it seems to follow a default xml file here. And it is trying to find
xenbr0 which I don't have as I am not using a xen kernel so no xend running
at the moment. It should use in that case eth0/eth1 right?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Deependra