[et-mgmt-tools] connecting to remote hosts?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Apr 26 13:52:13 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:01:02PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> Is it possible to connect to remote hosts with virt-manager?
>>
>> As I checked with 0.3.1, it was not possible.
>>
>> Perhaps it's possible in 0.4.0 which was released a few days ago?
>
> Unfortunately its not available yet. We're working on secure support
> for it in libvirt.

Any estimates when will that be available (two weeks... two months... a
year etc.)?

>> If not, is it possible with some sort of redirection (SSH redirection,
>> or perhaps iptables + routing changes)?
>
> Ordinarily virt-manager connects to /var/lib/xend/xend-socket, and I
> don't think SSH can forward UNIX sockets easily. Turning on the HTTP
> socket in XenD is one option, but its a security hole because XenD

All right - just to check how it works would be fine.

virt-manager has quite a big list of dependencies to install it easily
from sources on a server (which you don't want to turn into a
development machine).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org