[et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager doesn't update the memory usage in the list

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 18:49:33 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:43:41PM -0400, Hugh Brock wrote:
>> Source wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Well I have created a new virtual machine using virt-manager (hypervisor
>>> Qemu-KVM). Now earlier I had allocated 256MB RAM to the virtual machine.
>>> Now when I try to change it from right clicking the VM (in the list
>>> shown by virt-manager) and selecting details , hardware , memory and
>>> decreasing it to 128MB it doesn't update it. It shows the updated value
>>> in Hardware->Memory but when I apply it , it doesn't get updated in
>>> Virt-manager main windows VM Lists. So when I restart virt-manager I am
>>> still shown 256MB RAM in the main window and also in
>>> Details>Hardware>Memory.
>>>
>>> Can't I change the memory limit after creating the VM. It's a redhat
>>> enterprise 5 Fully virtualized guest.
>>>
>>> And if I can't change it then how can I edit the RAM limits in
>>> Details>Hardware>Memory.
>>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Unfortunately, you can't modify the vcpus or memory for a fully
>> virtualized guest while it's running. If virt-manager is letting you do
>> that, that's a bug, we should fix it (I assume the guest is running when
>> you do this?).
>
> Well that's fuzzy actually. There's no reason you can't drop an paravirt
> balloon driver module into a fullvirt guest if you were so inclined to
> write one. Likewise in theory a guest could also do CPU hotplug. So
> while we could block those options in the UI for fullvirt, we should
> expect to have to unblock them in the future at least :-)

Maybe in the future we want to block or unblock them based on what's in
the capabilities XML that comes out of libvirt? Be kind of a neat trick
to work out that a fullvirt guest did in fact have a paravirt balloon
driver involved, though...

--H

--
Red Hat Virtualization Group http://redhat.com/virtualization