[et-mgmt-tools] boot locally after install via cobbler

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 14:41:11 UTC 2007

Peter Wright wrote:
> Harry Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> No, I don't think that'll work... but if you wrote a quick cgi to accept
>> the args of mac addr and netboot then you could exec the cobbler
>> command...
>>
>> something like
>>
>> %post
>>
>> wget
>> http://cobbler/cgi-bin/done_install?mac=00:11:22:33:44:55&netboot=n
>> <http://cobbler/cgi-bin/done_install?mac=00:11:22:33:44:55&netboot=n>
>>
>> You'd of course want to do the normal sanitization of user data.
>>
>> I've got a script that I could modify to do this, let me know if you
>> need/want it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Harry
>>

> ok - i think i'm getting this thing now.  nice - if you don't mind
> posting that script i'd love to take a look at it.
>
> -p

Harry has the right idea -- still though, CGI scripts should be running
as the apache user and not root.   This means they won't (by design)
have access to modify the cobbler configuration.   What you would really
want to do is write a simple script that can /only/ disable the netboot
field and then grant SSH access for only that one command.   There is
some example of that technique posted here, which I personally haven't
used, but I have it on good authority that it works well :)

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/dyndns_howto.html

This way (writing a script that calls "cobbler system edit --name=name
--netboot-enabled=0") you make sure you've allowed remote access to
changing only that one
specific flag.   (This particular flag has the result of removing the
per-system configuration file in /tftpboot that enables the system to
boot to a specific PXE target)

Incidentally, Matt Hyclak wrote a script to do this before you could do
this in the cobbler command line.  That script is mentioned on this page:

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/CobblerApi

The alternative is to SSH is to make the cgi to do this setuid root,
which has security implications.

Another (perhaps simpler) option is set network boot lower in the BIOS
order (so hard drives first), and then when it comes time to reinstall
them, you can use
"koan --replace-self --server=bootserver.example.com --profile=name" to
do the reinstall rather than needing to PXE.  If the Linux box is
already running, you can invoke that koan call over SSH followed by a
call to /sbin/reboot.    That will essentially do the same thing, and is
what I do and generally recommend.