[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler system add

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 16:31:44 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:

> On 8/8/07, *Michael DeHaan* <mdehaan at redhat.com
> <mailto:mdehaan at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     It's hard to tell for sure from what you've posted (lots of networking
>     things could be afoot), but what does your
>     /etc/cobbler/dnsmasq.template
>     look like?   How about the generated /etc/dnsmasq.conf?   Those are a
>     few things to start with.   Since you didn't mention editing
>     /etc/cobbler/dnsmasq.conf it might not be correct for your
>     environment.
>
>     There are some setup instructions including information at logging
>     here:
>     http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/setup.html -- keep in mind
>     that cobbler will generate
>     it's own dnsmasq.conf based on the template, and the same for
>     /etc/ethers and /var/lib/cobbler/cobbler_hosts -- but that should give
>     you some idea of how it all works.
>
>     <snip>
>
>     --Michael

> I've tried a few variations on /etc/cobbler/dnsmasq.template
> Here's my latest:
>
> $cat /etc/cobbler/dnsmasq.template
> # Cobbler generated configuration file for dnsmasq
> # $date
> #
>
> # resolve.conf .. ?
> #no-poll
> #enable-dbus
> read-ethers
> addn-hosts = /var/lib/cobbler/cobbler_hosts
>
> dhcp-range=10.0.0.128 <http://10.0.0.128>, 10.0.0.254 <http://10.0.0.254>
> dhcp-option=3,$next_server
> dhcp-lease-max=1000
> dhcp-authoritative
> dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0
> dhcp-boot=net:normalarch,pxelinux.0
> dhcp-boot=net:ia64,$elilo
>
> $insert_cobbler_system_definitions
>
> And the resulting
>
> $cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
>
> # Cobbler generated configuration file for dnsmasq
> # Thu Aug  9 15:42:24 2007
>
> # resolve.conf .. ?
> #no-poll
> #enable-dbus
> read-ethers
> addn-hosts = /var/lib/cobbler/cobbler_hosts
>
> dhcp-range= 10.0.0.128 <http://10.0.0.128>, 10.0.0.254 <http://10.0.0.254>
> dhcp-option=3,10.0.0.21 <http://10.0.0.21>
> dhcp-lease-max=1000
> dhcp-authoritative
> dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0
> dhcp-boot=net:normalarch, pxelinux.0
> dhcp-boot=net:ia64,elilo-3.6-ia64.efi
>
> and
> $ cat /etc/ethers
> 00:50:56:00:00:FF       10.0.0.66 <http://10.0.0.66>
>
> and
> $ cat /var/lib/cobbler/cobbler_hosts
> 10.0.0.66 <http://10.0.0.66>       ctl01.sms
>
> Still pxeboot complains: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.
>
> --
> Drew Einhorn

Individual networking issues are beyond my ability to debug over email,
and probably the scope of this list.

You might want to see if you get the same problem with ISC and whether
you get DHCP offers for your VMware
guests when using your existing DHCP config.

If any of those remove the problem, you have a dnsmasq config problem --
otherwise, it might be something
else.    I would think VMware would PXE just like anything else, but I
have no idea what all the pieces
to the puzzle are.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.