[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler system add

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 19:27:49 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Peter Wright <wright at imageworks.com> wrote:

> Michael DeHaan wrote:
> >

> > > Peter Wright suggested that it looks like my vmlinuz/initrd.img
> > > don't support my virtual nic.  He's probably right,  I've got to
> > > figure out how to build the right vmlinz/initrd.img before I try
> > > again and we see if there's a third problem lurking behind these
> > > two.
> >
> > cobbler import will pick the kernel/initrd from the "os/images/pxe"
> > directory for
> > TFTP installs.   If you used "cobbler import" and your distro/profile
> > didn't contain
> > the word "Xen" in it, that's the one you are using.   The Xen pair
> > definitely
> > probably won't work.    If those don't work, the NIC is probably the
> > issue -- though
> > I would kind of expect them to be simulating something relatively
> > standard.    Could be wrong :)
> >

> I memory serves me correctly VMWare emulates either an NE100 NIC or a
> generic AMD NIC (can't remember the divers specifically off the top of
> my head though).  you do not need the vm-tools package though to get the
> NIC working though - i believe the tools package addresses some
> performance problems with the virtual NIC, but i do not think it
> modifies the kernel module used.
>
> while googling it seems they do emulate a generic AMD NIC, what's
> interesting is that the OpenBSD folks have developed a specific VMware
> driver named "vic" which "supports the vmxnet driver protocol".

VMware has 3 network virtual devices/drivers

the one you are thinking of they call the vlance driver which is based on
the
AMD PCnet 3, there are issues with this virtual nic/driver and it is
recommended
only if you have bigger issues with the better drivers and can't get them to
work.

the vmxnet virtual device/driver is a custom virtual nic, don't believe
there
are any physical implementations.  This one is recommended for 32-bit VMs

the e1000 is a virtual Intel Pro 1000 and is recommended for 64-bit VMs.

Don't think any of these are included in the stock vmlinuz/initrd.img,

VMware Tools includes all this and more (virtual graphics adapter,
monitoring tools, etc.)

But I think some distributions take some if not all of these pieces and
loads them up with all the other drivers.

Did a find on the wrong box (I was confused), and found a whole of versions
of vmnet.o and vmmon.o for different kernels.

Wonder if vmnet.o has all three drivers bundled together?

So far I finding new questions faster than answers.

I'll figured it out sooner or later.

-p

> --
> Peter Wright