[et-mgmt-tools] changing webdir and ks config file locations in 0.6.0

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 10:59:32 UTC 2007

Msquared wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 03:34:20PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>

>> There are some places though (koan, templates, etc) that assume some
>> relative http structure exists -- so I'd caution against moving the web
>> dir.  A better question would be, why do you want to move the webdir?
>>

> Different from Tom, I may want to move it to a subfolder, perhaps.  If I
> plan to use a webserver for virtual hosting, I will create a subfolder
> within /var/www for each virtual host.  eg:
>
>   /var/www/www.mydomain.com/
>   /var/www/www.yourdomain.com/
>   /var/www/personal.mydomain.com/
>
> I think this would be less work and cause less issues than moving the
> entire /var/www somewhere else, but are there still any 'gotchas' I should
> be aware of?
>
> Regards, Msquared...

That shouldn't be too difficult.

If you set "server" to (for example) bootserver.mydomain.com in
/var/lib/cobbler/settings and then "webdir" to
/var/www/bootserver.mydomain.com/cobbler things should work out fine.
That being said, it's not something I test, so if you encounter any
weirdness, let me know, and I'll fix it.

You will definitely have to modify /etc/httpd.d/cobbler.conf to modify
cobbler's Apache configuration -- though it's marked "config/noreplace"
in the RPM
so it shouldn't change in an upgrade once you get it the way you want.

The main thing is ensuring that the URL structure cobbler expects
("http://$server/cobbler/") remains the same from http:// -- there
shouldn't be any hardcodes of "/var/www/cobbler" anywhere in the Python
code anymore -- and if you ever run across one, it's a bug.

Since the RPM will still want to own directory entries in
/var/www/cobbler make sure you copy the directory structure over to the
new location.  You can see
that information by looking for "/var/www/cobbler" in the RPM spec
file.   Or, you can do what Tom did and build your own patched RPM -- in
your case, I don't think you shouldn't have to do that -- but if you
want to, you can.

Those directories are:

%dir /var/log/cobbler
%dir /var/log/cobbler/kicklog