[et-mgmt-tools] Re: Cobbler Check fails: ImportError: Nomodulenamed cobbler.cobbler

Peter Wright wright at imageworks.com
Fri Aug 17 16:57:17 UTC 2007

Goodman, Roger L CTR JCS J8/SAMD wrote:

> Michael,
>         Regarding your questions, I downloaded a file called
> cobbler-0.6.0.tar.gz from the website http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/ .
> I extracted it, ran some kind of a build command, to end up with
> cobbler-0.6.0.linux-x86_64.tar.gz, which I untarred from the root
> directory.  At no point did I see a requirement/prerequisite of
> Cheetah.Template (not on the website, not in the .tar.gz file, not
> during the build phase).  When I ran the "cobbler check" command, and
> I got the failure, is when I discovered that something was missing.
>      I have since then loaded Cheetah templated from an RPM file on
> the RHEL 5 disks, and cobbler has fewer complaints now.  Still having
> problems getting a tftpd to stay running.  The tftp-server RPM is
> installed, but when I start tftp, it immediately exits.  When I first
> looked, I didn't see an RPM for the x86_64 architecture, which is why
> I went with the source file.

Cobbler and Koan can safely be built as "noarch" rpms, as they are
written in python and I do not think they require any platform specific
libs.  So, you should be able to install the same RPM on i386 as well as
x86_64 (at least I am ;).  In fact, I think if run "make" in the cobbler
and koan source directories "noarch" rpm's get built by default and end
up in the "rpm-build" directory.

>         So, I did not do a --force RPM install of cobbler, as I didn't
> have an RPM file, and the Cheetah.Template file came from the RHEL5
> disks (disk 4, as I recall).  I did not have to do a --force on it,
> either, but I did install it _after_ cobbler had failed.
>         My suggestions:
> 1. On the webpage, mention any/all prerequisites, and maybe even how
> to test if they are installed.

Yea, I agree it could be a little more explicit.  I got things up and
running by using the HOWTO build a Cobbler Server from the wiki:
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/HowToCobblerServer

If I had more time I'd submit a patch for the documentation section on
the cobbler website....

HTH,
-pete

--