[et-mgmt-tools] Service discovery for cobbler and koan with Avahi

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 19:09:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 13:53 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> How does this work?
>
>     Cobblerd will detect the presence of avahi-tools when it starts up,
> and will publish the service.
>
>     With koan, we specify --server=DISCOVER to tell koan it needs to
> probe for a cobbler server.
>
> For instance, the following command works regardless of where you are:
>
>     koan --server=DISCOVER --list-profiles

Cool .. how about the following behavior: when koan is started without
--server, it first tries to look up a host named 'cobbler' and uses that
as the cobblerd; if no such host exists, try to discover using avahi; if
that fails tell the user they are dumb and need to give na explicit
server with --server ?

David