[et-mgmt-tools] Installing cobbler on a debian system

Javier Palacios javiplx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 15:04:04 UTC 2007

> > Most of our machines are debian/ubuntu, so that was the second step.
> > The manpage states "limited experimental support" for debian/suse but
> > for your comments I understand that it works right. The "distro add"
> > arguments resembles those for a syslinux/pxeboot. Is it posible also
> > to import debian packages, manage debian repos and so on?
>
> No support for apt repos, though patches to add them can be applied.

So do any patch exists? (I don't care if they are experimental, as
right now I just plan make experiments with them)

> > Although I'll probably setup a fedora box, I'll keep trying to install
> > & run cobbler from a debian system. If you think it might be valuable,
> > I'll keep you/the list informed about the (expected) progress.
>
> Sounds good.

Debian packages are available at
http://usuarios2.arsystel.com/javierpb/cobbler/
they need some improvements,  but they allow to import a Fedora8 DVD
into cobbler (no test possible until next week).

Although it might due to this non-standard setup, I have noticed that
just after install cobbler and before importing anything, only 'list
kickstarts' works in the web interface, and any other list action
produces a python exception that is shown in the browser.

Javier Palacios